Monday, 20 July 2015

Introducing the beast (not a gardening post)

Ta da, my lovely new sewing machine beast thing! It's computerised & quite frankly scares me but I'm off next week so shall have time to dabble with it properly. The instruction booklet is the size & thickness of a magazine so that's my bedtime reading at the moment!

But it really is a fabulous thing & came with oodles of extras -
Hard cover to keep it safe & clean in my dusty house!

Extension table for quilting

Usual bits & pieces for making it work & a scary embroidery thing

Mike stumped up a bit extra for feet for quilting

Bonus feet in the box

A set of scissors

Last but by no means least 50 reels of thread!
It amazes me how bad I am at photography but the scratches on the kitchen table have come up beautifully in the third shot!

I've needed to upgrade to a better sewing machine for ages & had started looking for one a couple of weeks back. I knew the sort I wanted - for dressmaking, quilting that sort of thing so I've been doing quite a bit of research into the best one for me & one that would last too.

My mum overheard a conversation that Mike I were having about going to Sewing Machine Direct which isn't too far away from us. I've learnt my lesson about buying expensive items with out looking at them first & not speaking to an experienced person. To cut a long story short my mum was rather insistent about buying me the machine as she wanted to buy me something nice for sorting out my dads estate for her after his death. To be honest I wasn't too keen on the idea but after spending a couple of days thinking about it & dealing with a petulant mother I gave in. I couldn't get out of  work so Mike went down to the shop with three models in mind & asked for advice. And this was the best out of the bunch it's exclusive to the shop we bought it from & Mike was really impressed with the service he felt he received there, also Wendy the lady he spoke to passed her contact details on a  business card in case I had any trouble with it & I can pop into the shop so it was sold! Well really it was ordered that afternoon & delivered to my mums the next day!

So there you go my new sewing beast, I've noticed a trend for people naming their sewing machines. Can you see the tortoise & the hare on the right hand corner - I'm thinking of calling it Aesop!

Enjoy your day all, I shouldn't be blogging I should be tackling the mountain of washing that needs putting away! x

26 comments:

  1. Fantastic new sewing machine!!! I understand your reticence in accepting this from your Mum, but equally understand her desire to do something nice for you, it is a balancing act isn't it! However, I know that you will enjoy and appreciate Aesop for many years to come!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic, I bought my machine from sewing machine direct lovely company I also got the threads and scissors both are good quality, I also bought the swing machines for the workshops from there 4 of which I still have, looking forward to seeing all the goodies you make, never mind the washing play on your machine :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant, its very smart. I bought mine in John Lewis and never had any problems and they price match. Mind you mines not quite as fancy as your lovely model x

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow that's swish! I'm so glad you let your mum buy it for you. She will get a lot of pleasure for doing so and you can make her something as a thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you soon get to grips with your new beast. Aesop would be a great name for it. I'm sure your mum was happy to get the machine for you as a thank you. I know what you mean about photos - I nearly always find something unwanted in mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous, I'm sure you'll spend many happy hours together. I'm sure your mum will have had a lot of pleasure in being able to buy you it as a gift. Looking forward to seeing what you make with it now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blimey that is one posh machine and as such fully deserves a Classical Name :o) I'm sure you'll have many happy hours sewing together (they are more co-operative if they have a name I find, they invest more in the projects. That's why Phyllis is called Phyllis). You shouldn't have mentioned your scratched table. I didn't notice it the first time so had to go back and have another look :o) XXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant name for it and I bet you have lots of fun mastering it over the next couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have fun! Thanks, and you too. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a beauty my friend! My goodness! It has so many features on it!!! Enjoy making away on this amazing machine!!! And a lovely day to you my friend! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cannot wait to see all the beautiful things that you and Aesop with make together!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have fun, I have always owned a sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, can't wait to see what you make with this, Jo! I hope the thickness of the manual is all the instructions in other languages so you don't have to wade through too much! Good luck with it and have a lovely week! Caro x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Janome make great machines, I would not be without mine. I will be watching to see what you make. Enjoy your week off.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My machine is named Anna and I love her, but she is a very simple machine and yours is quite amazing. I love that your Mom wanted to get it for you as a special thanks,
    Hugs and have fun.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooh fab! Can't wait to see all your new clothes. Karen :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I bought a lovely machine last year but have been very naughty and not really used it much. Must get my act together in more ways than one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. love the extension for quilting. I was thinking of a Janome for my next one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the name, Aesop! A lovely and complicated machine, it's always a bonus when you get good service too. Looking forward to seeing your new makes xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oooh it looks impressive, with all those extras! I'm sure you'll enjoy doing all kinds of exciting stitches with it. Looking forward to seeing the projects you make on it. Happy sewing!
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have sewing machine envy!! Enjoy :) x

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have a simple old sewing machine, your new one looks fab, hope you enjoy playing with it. Hx

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's lovely! If I do have that machine, I want to try make a quilt soon.

    ReplyDelete
  24. My machine is called Rupert.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lol it's like I'm reading about myself! The HG bought me a beautifully complex machine, and scissors and extra feet n things. I too have a mega manual to read. Finally, tomorrow, I a switching it on! Not sure if I will game it yet. Only thing I have named is Beryl. She's my Boysenberry Kitchen Aid mixer!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fantastic! Have fun getting to grips with your new machine! Mine is a Janome too, just a basic model but I've always got on well with it. It doesn't have a name though, I should think of one xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I really do appreciate it.